Car Finance FAQ’s

Find answers to commonly asked questions. If your question wasn't answered here please contact a member of our team for help.

Contact us


Do I have to book a test drive?

No - you are welcome to turn up unannounced and to road test any vehicle within normal opening hours. Some vehicles are more difficult to access though, so if possible, a quick call to the team to advise them of your requirements may help speed up the process on arrival. Let us know and we’ll have the specific vehicles you’re interested in ‘ready & waiting’ for you.

Is my new car HPi clear?

Yes – All Motor Market retail vehicles are HPi clear and a certificate of proof can be provided whenever requested. This ensures you can purchase with confidence, in the knowledge your new vehicle has never been written off, been stolen/recovered and had no outstanding finance secured against it.

Do you buy private cars for cash?

Yes – we are always interested in purchasing good quality, well maintained, desirable vehicles. We always maintain cash reserves to cater for immediate payouts. The process is similar to that described in the case of how we deal with part exchanges, so if you have a vehicle that you wish to dispose of quickly, please get in touch with the team.


What will be the APR on my finance deal?

This will vary from deal to deal dependant on the strength of your credit rating and the chosen term of the agreement. The finance company will apply a rate that reflects the level of risk they see when advancing you the amount towards your purchase. It could range between 9.9% APR to 55% APR but will always be highlighted and explained to you in your pre contract agreement, prior to entering into any agreement.

If I’ve had credit problems in the past, can I still get car finance?

Yes, it is often possible, Black Country Car Finance work with finance partners that specialise in lending to customers in this position. They will decide based on several factors including severity of past issues, credit profile, amount of deposit and affordability.

I have existing finance on my current car; can this be settled as part of the deal?”

Yes, this is a common practice and can be arranged of your behalf. It is useful to get the settlement figure of your existing agreement prior to choosing your new vehicle.

Can I pay my finance off before the end of the term?

Yes, you can request a settlement figure, pay off the amount and close an agreement at any point during the term.

What documentation do I need to bring to get finance?

You will require a driving licence, plastic card type in your current address. On occasions you may also need a proof of address dated within the last 30 days, a utility bill or bank statement are examples. If specifically requested a wage slip or bank statements may also be required.

Will I need a deposit to get car finance?

Not necessarily, dependant of the strength of your credit profile and the book value of your new vehicle it may be possible to borrow the full amount.

I’m under 21, how old do I have to be to get car finance?

If you are over 18 years of age it is possible to have vehicle finance, on some occasions a parental guarantor may be required.

Do I need a driving licence to get car finance?

For a traditional Regulated Conditional Sale Agreement we will require a full or provisional driving licence. In some instances where the applicant has no licence it is possible to fund the purchase from a Personal Loan Agreement as an alternative.

How long will it take to process my finance application?

It takes less than 5 minutes to complete the application process and we usually get a response within 20 minutes. The sign up process is electronic and can be completed online, leaving only one visit to the Cradley Heath dealership to collect and drive away your new vehicle.

When will I make my first payment?

The finance company will take your first payment via direct debit 30 days after the date you sign the agreement, which is often the day you collect your new car. On some occasion this period can be extended to 45/60 days before first repayment.


What warranties will come with my new car?

Your new vehicle will be provided with comprehensive 3 months mechanical and electrical parts and labour warranty, with the option of extension at the end of 3 months.

Can I buy an extended warranty?

Yes, we provide extended mechanical breakdown cover from of warranty partners A1 Approved. Booklets containing extent, length and costs of cover are available within the dealership.

What happens if I have a problem after taking ownership of my new car?

On occasions when any remedial works are required within the terms of the warranty type and period Motor Market will complete and pay for the works on your behalf. Motor Market will then recover the costs from the warranty provider. Alternatively, if you live a distance from the dealership and it be agreed more convenient to complete works at a garage/workshop more local to you, then this is acceptable as long as the garage is VAT registered and receives authority prior to completing the works.

Part Exchange

Will you accept any vehicle as a part exchange?

Yes, regardless of age and condition we will be happy to take any vehicle in part exchange against your new purchase. At present £100 is the minimum part exchange allowance we offer against any vehicle, subject to it having a minimum of 1 months outstanding MOT and it being HPi clear.

What if my part exchange is on the VCAR Register?

It is important you make the adviser within Motor Market aware of this as early as possible and prior to any negotiation regarding value/price. Motor Market will still take the vehicle in part exchange but will offer a value that reflects its status and it’s reduced re sale value.

How do I get a value for my part exchange?

Let us know your part exchange details via chat facility or any of the contact details shown. We will require it registration number, mileage, service history and an idea of its condition. Alternatively visit the Motor Market dealership with your vehicle, where the team will be happy to give you a value on the spot.

What documents do I need to bring for my old car?

On hand over of your part exchange you should as a minimum provide the vehicles V5C logbook its current MOT. Any service history/receipt, previous MOT’s, book packs and spare keys would also be welcome.

Mechanical & Technical

When do I know if my cam belt is due for a change and what are the service intervals for my new car?

This will vary from make and model of vehicle. If required Motor Market can provide the information specific to your vehicle of interest using its in house Autodata software.

Where can I get future MOT’s and servicing works done?

Motor Market have their own qualified mechanics and workshop facilities, they can provide any of your after sales MOT, servicing and mechanical repair requirements. Call, e-mail or visit the team to make book your vehicle in with us.

I am using the vehicle to tow. How can I get a tow bar fitted?

We would be happy to arrange the fitting of a tow bar on your behalf. Please advise your requirements at the point of reserving your new car and we will liaise with our partner company Towcraft Limited and ensure its in place when you drive away.


I have a private number plate I would like to transfer, how do I do it?

The Motor Market team are happy to do this on your behalf. Completion of DVLA form V317 is required, available from within the dealership or from A copy of your MOT and V5C logbook are also necessary accompanied by the DVLA administration fee which is a presently £80.00.

I am registered disabled; how do I arrange my disabled tax?

Motor Market would be pleased to arrange this on your behalf. We only require your WPA0442 certificate signed where necessary and your disabled road tax will be arranged when you drive away your new vehicle.

What do I need to do with the logbook (V5C) for my old car?

It’s important you register transfer of ownership of your old vehicle to Motor Market when handing in your part exchange. This exonerates you from any potential future fines relative to that vehicle. Motor Market will do this with you by completing the V5C/3 section of the logbook (yellow slip) and return it to the DVLA on your behalf.


Where can I find the costs of road tax?

The Government currently determines what it charges for vehicle road tax based on the age and Co2 Emissions of each vehicle measured in grams per kilometre (g/km) driven. These details are shown on the registration certificate (V5C).

Vehicle tax rates for cars registered on or after 1 March 2001 are split into 13 bands depending on CO2 emissions. The amount you'll pay depends on which band your car is in. The lower a car’s emissions, the lower the vehicle tax payable on it.

Tax bands and annual costs can be seen by clicking on any vehicle of specific interest, then enter the economy section.

Alternatively, all road tax details can be found at

Where can find the fuel economy figures for a specific car?

Fuel consumption figures can be seen by clicking on any vehicle of specific interest, then enter the economy section.


What do NCAP safety ratings mean?

The European New Car Assessment Programme (Euro NCAP) provides an independent and comparative assessment of new car safety, allowing buyers to make more informed choices.

Legislation provides a minimum statutory standard of safety for all new cars before they can be sold. The Euro NCAP encourages manufacturers to exceed these minimum requirements.

Where can I find vehicle safety ratings?”

Safety ratings can be seen by clicking on any vehicle of specific interest, then enter the safety section or at Euroncap

Website powered by Starkwood Media Group